Friday, December 9, 2011

Monastery Reflections: 1

I found all my writing from the monastery, and I'm going to post a few thoughts a day for the Christmas season to get these out. They're pretty short. Hopefully they give a taste of my time there.

“You don’t mind the silent work?” Brother A inquires.

I am still finding the silence really restful.

“Good. The usual procedure, is to talk, only when necessary for work, and as briefly as possible.” Brother A's voice falls every few words, and draws out the last word – “as briefly as possiblllllllle.”

When he leaves me at the hen coup to get supplies, I indulge in a little breaking of the Lesser Silence to have a chat with the hens. “Heyo, little ladies,” I cluck, “How’s it goin’? Ready for dinner?” I feel a little bit guilty and I keep an eye out for Brother A.

It turns out that the urge to chat to hens in irresistible. “Hey hey hye, biddies,” he murmurs, “time for dinner! Time for walkies!” Then, sheepishly, “I always let them ouuuuut, give them a chaaaaaance, to stretch their winnnnnnnngs!”

I’m not sure if this talk is strictly necessary for work. (Maybe just necessary for sanity?)

No comments: