Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Monastery Reflections: 5

Monastery reflections from my time there last April.


What a charming little old kindly looking weathered priest, visiting for the weekend. He's simply lovely looking - round face, wrinkled eyes. But I think that I’m gotten too attached to silence. I’m irritated out of all reason when he laughs aloud to his lunch book - during our daily silent lunch (all meals are silent at the monastery - like pretty much everything else). Today after chapel, he walked behind me back to the cells, singing pleasantly some hymn or other. And I was supremely pissed. As I’m writing this, I hear him in the room next door, blowing his nose with a lot of gusto. 

Maybe acclimating back to society after a month here will be harder than I thought.

No comments: